Thursday, June 18, 2009

NASCAR Driver Dies in Crash

NASCAR Driver Dies in Crash

This past weekend NASCAR Mexico driver Carlos Pardo died in a wreck in the final laps of a race in Pueblo, Mexico. He was leading on lap 97 when a competitor tapped his car from behind, sending it into a retaining wall at the entrance to the pit lane at well over 100 miles per hour. Pardo had raced in one NASCAR Nationwide Series race and in six NASCAR Camping World East races here in the U.S. He was a series champion in 2004 and had won ten races in the Mexico series in 74 starts.

Thanks to NASCAR’s commitment to safety, one doesn’t hear about deaths in races here in the U.S. very often. Since the deaths of Dale Earnhardt, Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin years ago, the cars, tracks and equipment have been dramatically improved. A story like this, however, reminds us that there is definitely a risk involved in auto racing. So, knowing that death is a possibility, how do these drivers continue to get into a car every weekend and race at speeds close to 200 miles per hour?

When a person is passionate about something, he is willing to take risks. In coaching and consulting, one of the biggest issues I deal with is fear. Most people have fears of one kind or another. I myself have a fear of heights: I will get in a car and drive 200 mph, but I do not like getting up on the roof of a house. Other common fears are fear of rejection, fear of the unknown and fear of failure.

In business, especially in sales, the fear of rejection keeps a lot of people from asking for business in the first place. I learned very early in my career that the one thing that would increase my sales was asking the prospect to do business with me. It was amazing something so simple increased my sales so much.

In relationships, I see many people stay in unhealthy or unfulfilling relationships because they fear the unknown and are unsure there is anything better. The uncertainty of finding happiness keeps them stuck in a rut of unhappiness.

Fear of failure keeps many others from accomplishing their goals. Fear of failing in business keeps many from trying to succeed as an entrepreneur. Staying stuck in a dead-end job is safe. My belief is that if a path seems uncomfortable, it is the correct path to take.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Carlos Pardo’s family and friends. I am pretty sure, however, that he knew the risks and chose to follow his passion regardless.

If you are dealing with fears that are keeping you from realizing your dreams, you may benefit from coaching.

Erik Elsea
www.erikelsea.com

Quote of the Day!-“How do you know the path is the right one to take? When you don’t feel prepared to take it.” – James Arthur Ray

2 comments:

  1. I hate to hear the sad news but I have to agree Carlos was doing what he loved to do and that was race. I myself do not like heights from ladders or roof tops but I enjoy getting into an airplane and would love to drive a race car. You are right if the passion is there a person can overcome any fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NASCAR Fan,

    Thank you for your comment. I appreciate all feedback from my readers. I am going to follow my passion this coming weekend and go to the Coke 400 at Daytona. I hope everyone has just as good of a July 4th as I plan to.

    ReplyDelete