Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Happy Birthday to Me!

Last week I celebrated my 31st birthday, causing me to pause and reflect on my life. To me a birthday is almost like New Years. It’s a time to make decisions about how I want to live the next year of my life. It makes me think about what I have accomplished so far and what I would like to accomplish before the next anniversary rolls around.

The evening before my birthday someone posed the question to me, “What is the most important thing on a tombstone?” I gave it as much thought as I could in the short time I had to stand there and ponder. He answered for me: it is the dash between the day you were born and the date you die. The dash is the most important thing on a tombstone. It represents your life—all the days between your first day on Earth and your last. It appears on your memorial as a simple, plain line, but it is so much more than that.

I was speaking to one of my closest friends that same night and told her that I could not believe I was going to be 31 the next day. I feel like I should be 41, or maybe even 51. I did not say this because I feel old physically. I feel great and am probably in the best shape I’ve been in since high school. I said this because I am amazed at how much I have done in 31 short years.

Not all of those things, most people would say, have been positive. I have made more than my share of mistakes, including addictions and costly business decisions. I have been selfish and sinned, but I have also learned. I have experienced real love. I have seen the beauty of God’s work in people and on this Earth. I have been fortunate to travel and to meet people from all walks of life in many parts of the world. And on my 31st birthday I can honestly say that I am finally headed in the right direction.

I will probably have many more birthdays, but eventually that final date will be engraved on my tombstone. Until then I am going to keep working diligently to make sure I have one very impressive dash.

Erik Elsea

www.erikelsea.com

Quote of the Day!- “If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything.”-Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment